DIY: How to Cover Light Switch Covers

I woke up this morning with the need for a project so I decided to beautify our light switch covers. If you’re looking for a fun, inexpensive, but totally worth while personalization for your home, this is a great way to do that. It’s easy and all supplies can be picked up from any type of crafting store like Jo-Anne’s or Hobby Lobby.

Here’s what you’ll need:

Light switch covers from your house

Paint brush

Decoupage glue

x acto knife

Light weight scrapbook paper



1. The first step is to take the scrapbook paper and measure about 1/2″-1″ passed the light switch plate. You’ll be folding it over the plate so you need ample paper for it to lay flat.

2. Once the paper is cut out put some glue on the backside of the paper. (The side that is not seen and will be sticking to the plate)

3. Take your x acto knife and cut an x in the middle where you’re light switch will go and put a little glue on it.

4. Fold the center x back so that it’s sticking to the back part of the plate.

5. Cut corners of paper at an angle.

6. By now your project should look like this.

7. Fold sides back around plate. For me it worked best to do the long sides first, then the short sides but whatever works for you is fine.

8. Lastly, put a little glue on the two small screw holes in the back. Poke two tiny holes where the screws should go then push something through from the front. I used a double pointed knitting needle but you can use anything that will fit. Give it a little twist so that the paper sticks to the inside and back of the plate.

And you’re done! Place the cover back on the wall, put the screws in and watch how such a little touch changes your whole room.

I used the Once Upon A Time scrapbook paper which is fairy tale based and I really love the way it turned out. If you’re interested in picking some up for yourself you can get it at a lot of craft stores or online from sellers like this one:

Once Upon A Time Scrapbook Paper

Just a heads up, this paper is pretty thick. It’s more of a card stock and took A LOT of taming and glue to get it to work but if you just have to have it I can assure you the final results were well worth the battle.

This entry was posted in DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s